Regretably, I never very much enjoyed the church hymn, "If You Could Hie to Kolob". Pretty words, but so dreary sounding. So very "minor key". So when Jerald chose that song as one of the eight hymns to arrange for his new piano book, "Hymns of Exaltation", I thought..."no". But I remember watching him sit at the piano, furrowing his cute brow in intense concentration, experimenting with different chords, and stopping to grab the pencil from behind his ear to quickly write the notes and jibberish on the scrap of paper on the piano. I listened to his dynamics - the tender, soft notes, verses the commanding, loud ones. I noticed he had changed the last verse from a minor key to a triumphant sounding major key. His arrangement, depending on the verse, sounded strong, peaceful, faithful, contemplative, gregarious, warm, determined, imaginative, fearless, triumphant, positive, righteous, joyful, and confirming. Suddenly, without realizing it...I fell in love with the song. And those adjectives I used to describe it are also the very attributes he possesses himself - ones I love and recognize every day. Jerald has the ability to transform "dreary minor key" life circumstances into gladdening jubilance. For this reason, among many others, I fell in love with him too. I now share, as a birthday gift to you all, his arrangement of the song I now adore - almost as much as I adore the performer. Happy Birthday, Jerald.
""If You Could Hie to Kolob"

12 comments:
Well done! This has always been one of my favorites, though ... mainly just because of the words. And I've always liked minor music. And it's not oversung. Anyway, you've married quite the talent -- it was beautiful!
Nice work Jerald.
FYI about this hymn. We were talking about this hymn a couple weeks ago (when choir practice was at my house) and how it was so dreary. Then the Patriarch mentioned how he liked the old version better. None of us knew what he was talking about until we got an old hymn book out. Completely different arrangement. Much better. Check it out.
Jerald's arrangement is beautiful!
Amazing!!! Just like the two of you!
Very beautiful! Bravo! I would love to listen to that every Sunday morning. A very Happy Birthday to your honey!
Oh my gosh! That last post was from JULIE Holbrook, not Ryan. I hate it when that happens!
absolutly beautiful! I loved it. My kids did too. I love piano music. Does he have a CD of him playing all the hymns in that book? I would love to buy one! Email me at Camilla_stoutner@hotmail.com and let me know. I really want one!
that was amazing! i have always liked that song, but i really, really like jeralds version better!!!
Tears running down my cheeks! Joy! Thank-you Jerald for sharing your talents!!
I never much cared for that hymn either, but loved Jerald's version!
Amazing!! Thanks for posting!
I think I heard somewhere that the hottset men are always born on Sept. 4th! We always love to hear Jerald's music!
That was beautiful...it's ALWAYS been one of my faves though...words, music and all.
You are lucky to have music like that to fill your home.
Post a Comment