Hey, It's OK...
... to enjoy a little bit of Christmas in August! Some of the loveliest music ever written is of the Christmas variety, so why enjoy it only in December? Jerald doesn't bat an eye when our dinner music provides a little extra yuletide cheer from the Carpenters, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and the Tabernacle Choir.
... to say that I always yearn to cook, I have a crush on baking, and I loooove to eat and everything INVOLVED with cooking, baking, and eating, as well as all foodstuffs of the past, present, and future, so if you inquire if I ever eat, then believe you me...I'll be smiling at you brightly, but INWARDLY be plotting your murder! Peace and blessings, y'all!!
... that I can sit, feeling perfectly content and endlessly stare at my little daughter, Summer. I have never found any flame, flower, or power that can mesmorize me the way she can.
... that I consider good books to be like dear friends. There's nothing in the world like reading the afternoon away, feeling completely absorbed in a story and climbing inside the characters' minds and hearts. I always feel a sad loss when I complete a book. I close it, stare at its cover, and miss it already. But there are always new "friends" to be found at my nearest library.
... that I feel shocked, saddened, and betrayed when a bowl of bland, tasteless, and unseasoned mashed potatoes are placed before me. Take it away, man, take it away. Now, how they REALLY need to prepared is outlined for you here. Take notes, for this is profound: Boil the potatoes in chicken broth along with some chopped onion, garlic, and extra salt. Drain out the broth. Then, before mashing, add lots of butter, some milk, a scoop of sour cream or cream cheese, a bit of shredded cheese (anything from sharp cheddar to Parmesan), salt, pepper, and if you're REALLY feeling wild and adventurous, a small handful of finely diced green onions. Beat it all until it's mashed and creamy. Before serving the fluffy confection, add a pat of butter which will melt and trickle down the sides, a sprinkle of paprika for a garnish, and then serve it to grateful, weeping individuals. Now, THESE. are. mashed. potatoes. Thank you. Goodnight.
(For more quacks and quirks, click here to read my volume 1 of Hey, It's OK!)

5 comments:
Oh how I love you Suzanne. And to be called "too skinny" again!! (; Last night I made those glorious potatoes but left out the boiling in chicken broth!! Can't wait to add that ingredient!
I am a big mashed potatoe person and I dont like mine smothered in gravy so I am like you and like them with sour cream, seasonings, and butter mashed in so they taste like heaven! I have never tried the broth trick though and am excited to see how that tastes!
and ditto everything about the books. I hate when you fall in love with a character and then the book or series ends and for days i just wonder what happened to them. I love the way you get into a character in a book, its so much more intimate than watching a movie.
You crack me up! Now I'm hungry for some yummy, seasoned mashed potatoes!
Amen to the Christmas music!!!! I listen to it year round (in private as I do wish to respect other peoples strong feeling of opposition to this practice). I love this from my mother.
I'll have to try your mashed potatoes, but without the onions! Onions are one thing I've never been able to make myself like.
I ALWAYS hate it when people ask me if I ever eat!!!! Do we ask super fat people if they eat all day? NO! That would be rude.... ;)
Post a Comment