Thursday, August 20, 2009
Childlike Faith
Isn't it wondrous when in our "What on earth am I supposed to do?" moments, a comforting feeling enters our hearts with the knowledge we didn't know we were looking for? I recall a day when my sweet little Summer, while having been thrust into the throws of potty training, looked up at me through teary blue eyes. That particularly sad morning, she needed to use the bathroom so much, but she refused to sit on the toilet. I looked from Summer to Jerald in desperation. Suddenly a sweet feeling washed over me with the knowledge that she needed some Heavenly help. "Summer", I said, "I think you need a Priesthood blessing from Daddy. He'll put his hands on your head and use his Priesthood to say a special prayer for you. Would you like that?" She slowly got up from her crouched position, walked over to Jerald and meekly asked, "Daddy, will you put your hands on my head?" Jerald and I then shared an "isn't she sweet?" moment as we witnessed her humble faith. Jerald, fighting tears, did place his hands on Summer's head and gave her a blessing of comfort and reassurance. We knew Heavenly Father would bless her with the ability to learn this skill. And learn it she did. She almost immediately transformed into a walking pee pee pro :) No worry of ours is too small for the Lord, who is so ready to help to teach us anything--whether it be humility, understanding, patience, or even how to use the big girl toilet. But what SUMMER taught me that morning was a lesson of faith. Childlike faith is what we call it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I just about cried reading this! What wonderful things you are teaching your daughter! My mother was very similar in the way she taught me and I will appreciate it forever, and I know your daughter will too. Keep being such wonderful faithful parents!
So i was sitting her listening to your husbands music and I just had to say it is the most beautiful music. I love it and it makes my soul swell with joy ( i know i sound cory, sorry! but i really feel that way!) it really touches me and I just wanted to let him know. If he was my husband i think i would ask him to play all day long!
Hooray for potty training. I'm glad that she is doing well with it.
I love that you are letting your sweet angel from heaven continue to be so! It is so wonderful when we speak of spiritual things. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for sharing your spiritual moments. I was just learning about teaching children about repentance. They suggested that we take time to pray with our children after they have done something "naughty" and have them ask for forgiveness. They also suggested that we remember to do this with them in their evening prayers. I was greatful to hear these suggestions. Your experience also taught me so much on how to invite the spirit into our little ones lives. Thank you!
Post a Comment