Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beauty Tip - Peeping Tommy Girl

If the eyes are the window to the soul, then the eyelashes should be a lovely set of shutters. Thanks to the invention of modern mascara in 1913 (the first was coal dust mixed with Vaseline!), the ability to cause minor windstorms with the very blinks of our sweeping lashes is possible. Unfortunately, many mascaras disappoint. Some look great at the time of application, but perform a magical disappearing act a mere hour later. Others make our lashes look clumped and heavy, as though tarantula legs have been surgically attached to our eyelids. Don't forget the brands that dry out on our lashes and flake off, generating the "mascara dandruff" that litters our cheekbones. And, of course, there are the mascaras that when we pull out the wand, we marvel at the goop, gook, and gunk enveloping the brush, so when we apply, it creates the "W". Translation? Three gobbed lashes - one in the middle and one on each side. My "favorite", though, are the ones that cause those black smudgy spots under our eyes by mid-day, transforming us into a High Noon Raccoon. Are there mascaras out there that won't make us weep in frustration? There had better be. Those black streaks from tears are so unbecoming. In my quest, I have found two mascaras that have found their rightful spot in my makeup bag. The first is "Professional" by Cover girl. This formula magnifies the lashes for a classic, ladylike look. The other is XXL Extensions by Maybellene. After using it, I actually had a checker at the dollar store ask if my lashes were real. She thought they were fakes! What a moment. Of course, that's really the only part of a woman about which people can comfortably and appropriately ask if it's all their own. Ha ha! XXL Extensions has one end that's a white base coat/primer, if you will (and I know you will), and the other end is the real mascara, as it were (and it always was). You'll achieve long, full, exaggerated lashes with the one/two punch. Let the windstorms begin! Start by using a metal eyelash curler. It really opens up your eyes to make THEM look bigger and YOU more awake. If you desire to feel like a real makeup artist, blast the curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds to heat it. It makes your lashes truly point heavenward. Curl your lashes at the base, holding it for a full ten seconds. Then, apply your mascara beginning right at the roots, wiggling it slightly, and then sweep the wand up and out. Linger at the tips of your lashes and slowly extend the wand beyond the edge. You can create several millimeters of extra length by adding that additional bit of mascara beyond the tips. Let the first coat dry. At this point, I personally curl my lashes again because they are rebelliously prone to straightness. They don't stick to the eyelash curler and break as long as I wait until they are all the way dry. Then add another coat or two of mascara and comb through them. You can maneuver those eyelash combs on the market, but I prefer to use a fine toothed comb for hair. It separates my lashes without removing the mascara. Hey, those windows to your soul will open and welcoming, and your lashes will be ready for batting. Get ready for the masses and mortals to peer (and gaze) into those windows!

14 comments:

Camilla said...

love it! you always had marvelous lashes!! I will have to try those brands of mascara! Oh and I totally use my eye lash curler two or three times so they stay curled!

Amanda said...

thanks for the tips! i will have to try the XXL mascara. i have always had a hard time finding a good mascara. thanks again!!!

Michelle said...

We are going to my parents tomorrow morning. I was thinking that maybe we could stop by and visit tomorrow afternoon if you are going to be home?

Michelle said...

I also wanted to ask you about buying one of Jerald's CD's- I LOVE his music! I am more at peace when I am allowed to hear his melodious tones! Please thank him for me!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the lash tips! You should apply to work as a writer for a magazine...they would probably let you work from home through your computer. You have a gift!

Elizabeth Reid said...

Awesome advice. I do have a question: I heard that using eyelash curlers makes your lashes fall out, break, etc. I am curious to know your opinion about that. However, until now I didn't know that YOU used curlers and your lashes are gorgeous.

Zanny said...

Thanks everyone! And Wendy, it's always kinda been a secret dream of mine to be a beauty editor for Allure magazine. Think of all the free beauty loot I'd score! Thanks for the kind word. I hope you all like the mascaras I recommended - everyone has different lashes, so what works for one may not work for another, so if you don't like them, don't give me the evil eye whilst stabbing me with your newly spiked lashes.

Liz - As long as you don't yank while you're squeezing, your lashes won't fall out. And wait until your lashes are completely dry before curling them again. You always have Betty Davis eyes, though, Liz!

Cindy said...

Lots of fun to read. I could definitely relate to all those awful mascara problems-it made me laugh!

Cheryl said...

Tarantula legs were really popular in the 80's!! I am using XXL and love it too. But Lancome mascara never disappoints (especially in the free gift bags!!)

Travis and Crystal said...

definately something i plan on trying! thanks for your tips!They are always amazing!

Jill T said...

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely take them into consideration. I do have to say that although pricey, Estee Lauder makes an excellent mascara as well.

I have never used an eye lash curler but will have to give it a whirl.

You really should look into writing for Allure...

Megan said...

I also have stubbornly straight lashes and use the blowdryer to heat my curler. I use a tube of mascara that is drying out for the first application because if it's too wet my lashes uncurl. I then use a safety pin to separate lashes and/or remove any clumps. Then I use a fresher tube of mascara so it doesn't get TOO clumpy. You can also put a tiny bit of powder onto the base of your eyelashes after the first application of mascara so it will stick, then cover it with subsequent layers. This makes lashes look thicker. I also only use waterproof mascara because it doesn't smudge, but can be easily removed with baby oil. Sigh... the things we go through for beauty....

Elizabeth Reid said...

Thanks for the tip Suzanne! I'm going to try it. And I'm ALSO not going to be afraid of the curler anymore!

Monica said...

Let me just say that no one says it quite like you do and I love it! I think your eyelashes are aready long and lovely though so it might not work as well on poor chaps like me that don't have amazing lashes. But I try. I try.