Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hotter Than Hot Chocolate

The holidays are now part of Christmas past, but 'Tis still the season for cuddling and hot chocolate. Nothing warms the chilliest of innards like the hot, creamy, rich drink. The first people known to have made chocolate itself were the ancient cultures of Mexico and Central America, who used ground cacao seeds to make a frothy drink. No doubt, we still love it and crave it today. Most hot cocoa mixes from the supermarket are crammed full of trans fats and icky additives. This pure and natural homemade recipe of mine is a slight variation of the one on the back of the Hershey's baking cocoa box, and it's so exquisite-tasting!

Hot Chocolate
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Hershey's cocoa powder
Dash of salt
1 cup milk (I prefer organic)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a large mug. Heat milk in the microwave for 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Gradually add hot milk to cocoa mixture. Stir well. Stir in vanilla. I like to use a wire whisk to help the cocoa dissolve more quickly and to add some pretty bubbles and foam.
*Before serving, try some add-ins like a candy cane (if you have any left over from Christmas), whipped cream, a cinnamon stick, marshmallows, or a chunk of chocolate that can slowly melt and turn the whole cup into a thick lake of melted chocolate. Go and prepare it now, and while you're at it, grab your loved one to cuddle while you sip. That's the cream on top!

4 comments:

AE Simon said...

mmmm this sounds good. I love hot chocolate. Anthony and I have a "Mr. Coffee". All it does is warm and stir at the same time. Usually I throw milk in and the hot chocolate mix, but I'll try this mixture next time.

Marsh Mayhem said...

Yum. Seriously. This is not helping the stinking weight loss goal!

Give me some chorister ideas -- isnt' it the best calling ever?

Cheryl said...

Yummy! Ok, We really need to get together. I will call Steph and she will call you and we will plan something.

Travis and Crystal said...

I am all of a sudden in the mood for hot cocoa! Thanks for sharing! I think I will go have me a cup!