Monday, January 19, 2009

...'Cause Waking Up is Hard To Do!

Our alarm clock is a cute little voice that calls out, "Mommy! Daddy! Please get me up!" Without fail, Jerald and I look at each other through half closed lids and groan at our poor choice of bedtime the night before and proclaim firmly and rationally that we will under no circumstances be in bed later than 10:30 pm that evening! We stagger into Summer's boudoir and collect the pretty, bright-eyed baby, who is always completely rested after sleeping twelve or thirteen hours, and tuck her into our bed to cuddle while we, the bleary-eyed parents, hope to catch a few more winks before permanently opening our eyes for the day ahead. You would think our guaranteed morning fatigue would be our wake up call to get to bed earlier, but the problem is...we have way too much fun! Every evening is a date and a party for Jerald and me! We strategically meet at some point during the day and get in "serious party planning mode." We plan dinner, snacks, games, movies, books, blogging ideas, etc., and become exuberantly excited for the evening ahead. We both have such yellow personalities (if you are familiar with the color code test, this means fun-loving), so we never want the merriment to end! We have the best of intentions to get to bed at a reasonable hour, but there is always an excuse for the gaiety to continue. "So and so" is a guest on Jay Leno, so we can't miss that! Oh, and then there was the whole "Grey's Anatomy" fiasco when we borrowed all of the seasons on DVD and watched them far past midnight because we just had to find out if Meredith and Doctor McDreamy finally get together! Then there are the books we can't put down, the movies we're dying to snuggle up together and watch, the fascinating blogs all of you cute people write that won't let us log off to nod off, and always, the amazing late night conversations Jerald and I enjoy, during which we'd rather laugh at funny anecdotes and our share our deepest dreams, than enter dreamland. I guess what it all comes down to is, we love life way too much to miss a single second of it sleeping. However, seeing as how it would be worthy and wise to be alert through our parties of life, maybe we should rest our heads and party through our dreams. Well...we'll sleep on it.

7 comments:

Becky said...

You guys have too much fun. Personally, I enjoy my sleep way to much and am usually in bed by 10 at the latest!

Jules Holbrook said...

I don't think you'll regret all those parties! They're so good for the soul.

Ty and Ber said...

I hear you!! We put the girls in bed at 8 and let them read for a little while and then we stay up til who knows when.
When they come marching in our room in the morning it is so hard to wake up. I don't do mornings well. If I could figure out the morning thing I could exercise, shower and get a lot of my things done before the girls woke up. Oh how nice that would be. Too many years working the night shift has ruined that for me I think. Some day.

Cindy said...

Nate and I totally agree. In the morning sleep seems so wonderful, but at night...who would choose to go to sleep when you know all the fun will end and you'll will soon wake up and have to be a responsible adult again.

Cheryl said...

Ok, I just love you and Mr. Simon! You are too cute and have explained my life perfectly! We do it too, each night stay up way too late, and then vow each morning to do better, but we just can't do it. It is so nice to have the alone time after the kiddies go down for bed!

Monica said...

You're so cute. I love the way you explain things, the words you use. Russ and I are the same way except for the part where we have any time together...Sloane will not go to bed!!! It's usually 10:30-11:00 before she is actually asleep and then it's a nightmare getting her up the next morning for preschool. NUTS! I'm glad you don't have that problem. :)

Miranda said...

I hear ya...when a book comes a callin' I usually answer. But otherwise I got to say...I sleep whenever I can now :) But I am sure I will be up with you in a couple of months...but I don't know if my time up will be so merry....although Michael did get me a recliner...so there is hope!