Sunday, December 7, 2008
A Child's Prayer
A couple of weeks ago, Summer wasn't feeling well, so I took her to see our wonderful pediatrician. Summer has always detested the doctor's office. Sure, she enjoys the airy waiting room with the fascinating fish tank, but as soon as her name is called, she bursts into tears. Oh, it breaks my heart every time. She hates to be checked and poked and prodded. When we arrived, we were guided by the nurse to a small office and were told our doctor would come in a few minutes. I took the opportunity to cuddle Summer and let her know everything would be alright. She pressed her little face into my collar bone and cried. I tried to distract her with the office story books, but that didn't work for very long. She knew what was coming. I wiped away her little tears and hugged her some more. I felt so worried - until it occurred to me we could pray. I excitedly stood up from the chair with her in my arms and said, "Summer, let's say a prayer to Heavenly Father. We can always ask Him to help us when we feel scared or worried." I told her we'd say two prayers - the first one by me and the other by her with my help. As soon as I uttered the words, "Dear Heavenly Father", I stopped, unable to continue for a moment as my throat closed and my eyes filled with tears. The spirit filled that small, stark office. I felt strongly Heavenly Father heard our prayer because He is aware of our every worry. No fear is too small for the enormity of peace He provides. I asked for His help and comfort for my little girl, who was so frightened. I then helped Summer say a prayer sentence by sentence. As soon as our prayers were over, the doctor came in. The examination went just fine and he and I marveled over how well little Summer did, and how she wasn't scared and didn't cry like all the times before. Only Summer and I knew the real reason. The primary song, "A Child's Prayer" is one of my favorites. The words are beautiful and begin with, "Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer? Some say that Heaven is far away, but I feel it close around me as I pray." We all have, in this terrestrial world, opportunities to have celestial experiences that bring us closer to heaven. Prayer will get each of us as close to it as possible, and it sure brought us to heaven's outskirts that day. Heavenly Father blessed little Summer with the comfort for which she asked. He heard His child's prayer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
What a darling little girl, and what a sweet experience. Thanks for sharing!
How are you guys, by the way? whatever happened to that getting together thing? Truth, I've been under a rock for the last few weeks -- but I"m ready to emerge!
Emerge forth! I'm just glad your arm is feeling better now. I'll email you and we'll set something up!
Totally made me cry! That is so sweet. I love that song.
Hey Simons! That is a really very sweet story..what a wonderful mother you are. Your little girl has some pretty amazing parents. I added you as my friend.
Crystal (McMillan) McKellar
I love the power of prayer. It's seems like prayer has the same magical power as a kiss. They both take the pain and fear away from our little ones!
What a precious experience! I love that song, too...I sing it to myself (or Heavenly Father, I guess) every night as I'm going to sleep. We're all children in that sense, and we all need our Father. It's awesome that Summer is learning the power of prayer at such a young age. Benfatto!
How beautiful! It is moments like that that keep me going. We miss you guys and can't wait to get together soon!
This is so sweet Zanny. Summer is so adorable and so smart, she amazes me. I am so grateful we have prayer. Just the other day I bought my step-dad a present for Christmas. When I got home and went to wrap it I couldn't find it anywhere. Anthony and I looked and looked. Finally while I was searching I stopped and asked Heavenly Father to help me find this missing movie. Sometimes I feel dumb for asking for things so small, but a couple of hours later I was setting up the fondue thing. I had a thought just to plug it in, but not turn it on. When I went to plug it in I found the movie on the floor, behind the curtain, next to the electrical plug. I guess something is never to big or to small to pray to Heavenly Father.
what a wonderful, sweet mom you are! you are an example to me. summer is blessed to have you as a mother.
What a sweet experience! I appreciate your wonderful example of patience and taking time for teaching moments.
What a great teaching moment about prayer!
Let's get together after the holidays. I am hoping that the transplant will be over by then. We are open to doing anything, whenever as long as it is not snowing (that is when Kevin has to work :( Maybe we could meet somewhere if you don't want to travel all the way to Provo, or we could meet at your home again. Just let us know what would work for you!
How precious! Obviously you have taught your daughter well.
BTW, you eat sandwiches with a knife and a fork!?! I'm still laughing about that!
Yes, Liz, I totally eat sandwiches with a knife and fork! I hate picking up a sandwich, taking a bite, and have a big chunk of bread lodge itself behind my two front teeth. I spend the next ten seconds trying to shove it out with my tongue, which is embarrasing when I'm with a group of people. A knife and fork is so much easier!!
What a wonderful moment for both of you. I am so grateful to you for sharing this and the reminder that we can pray about everything. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this, but Steph shared some very special things with me about Summer and I couldn't help but think that she is able to be the daughter of God that she is because you and Jerald are her parents and are teaching her spiritual things. I will share more with you at lunch with you and Steph. I will call soon.
It sounds like you truly are a wonderful mom. The best thing any mom can teach their child is that they love them and that their Heavenly Father loves them and cares about everything they care about no matter how small. Thanks for sharing that.
Post a Comment