Two Christmas' ago, Jerald and I had just finished decorating our house for the holidays and were lounging on our sofa admiring our handiwork. We sipped hot cocoa and took turns reading poems and sonnets to each other. Jerald has a smooth, radio announcer's voice and reads poems the way they ought to be read - slowly, meaningfully, and with emphasis on all the right words. He read to me one so lovely, short, and sweet. This poem's simple phrases touched my soul and has become my very favorite. It opens with a short paragraph of description, which I have included.“Sweet are the uses of adversity.” They bring us benefits not otherwise to be had. To mope because of them is foolish. Showers alternate with sunshine, sorrows with pleasure, pain and weariness with comfort and rest; but accept the one as necessary to the other, and you will enjoy both."
Is it Raining, Little Flower?
Is it raining, little flower?
Be glad of rain.
Too much sun would wither thee,
‘Twill shine again.
The sky is very black, ’tis true,
But just behind it shines
The blue.
Art thou weary, tender heart?
Be glad of pain;
In sorrow the sweetest things will grow
As flowers in the rain.
God watches and thou wilt have sun
When clouds their perfect work
Have done.
-Anonymous
This poem has meant a great deal to me, and I hope it means as much to you too. I felt prompted to post it on my blog, for I feel it may provide some much needed comfort. It was surely written with inspiration and shows how our Heavenly Father is aware of our every pain and sadness. I have felt, this weekend, Heavenly Father's love for me and His comfort when I very much needed it. Whatever our personal rain shower, "God watches, and we will have sun". The clouds will break through, revealing the most brilliant sunshine to drench our souls with warmth and peace. Joy is here for the taking. Our tears dry, and as my mother says, we look to the sun and move forward. We can know all will be well as we put our faith and trust in God, who generously provides us with flowers in the rain.

5 comments:
I love you Zanny, and cannot thank you enough for the poem you put in. I know exactly who I am supposed to share it with!
Zanny, You are wonderful. I love that poem. I love reading poetry with you and am grateful for your love. I love you.
Thanks for sharing that poem...it's just what I needed to hear today! I love that it's short, simple and to the point, but packed with great meaning.
I'd rather have snow than rain!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Sometimes we just need those small little reminders in our lives. How lucky we are to have the knowledge of the Gospel that we have and the sunshine that that brings too!
oh.my.gosh. how sweet. and so sweet that you read poetry and sonnets to each other. jealous. you guys are freakin awesome.
Post a Comment