Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recipe of Romance

Every now and then, an entree enters our lives that is so delicious, it invokes feelings of happiness and romance. This is such an entree - Makeover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. I found this treasure of a recipe in Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking Magazine, to which I am a faithful subscriber (along with four other cooking mags). Alfredo sauce, though delicious, is chock full of cream and butter. You may as well surgically insert it into your arteries! So, the test kitchens of Taste of Home made over the recipe to have less fat and sodium, while still maintaining the fabulousness. In my opinion, this tastes even creamier and dreamier. Now that's romantic.

Makeover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
3 tablespoons reduced fat butter, divided
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups fat free milk
1 cup half-and-half cream
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced fat colby-monterey jack cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese

1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, Italian seasoning, and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tbsp butter until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining butter until tender. Add remaining garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream.
3. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and reserved chicken; cook and stir until heated through.
4. Drain fettuccine; Toss with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon of remaining Parmesan cheese.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

It sounds so yummy!

Ty and Ber said...

This will definitely have to be investigated in our house! Taste buds be ready to take the test of your lives!

Jill T said...

Yum Yummy. I will have to try this--thanks for posting the recipe--I'm always looking for new ideas.

I always enjoy visiting your blog because I learn something new every time.

I hope life is treating you well!

We need to meet up in SLC some time--Behrad really enjoyed talking to your husband. We should all hang out.

Finny said...

Suzanne I love that you post recipes. I love trying new dinner ideas. We need to get together and do some recipe sharing. :)