Monday, October 20, 2008

Be Thankful For What You Don't Have - It Could Always Be Worse

While enjoying October's bright blue weather, Jerald and I have been determined not to develop a blue mood to match. The heat went out in our house during the first snow storm of the season, leaving us with icy fingers and noses. Our water heater began leaking all over the basement carpet, causing it to smell curiously like a foul dishrag. Our one vehicle became violently ill and left us with "hospital bills" of $3000, which was more money than it was worth. So, we decided to let it pass away in peace, while scrambling to hunt down a replacement. We were forced to spend a few hundred dollars to acquire a rental car for the time being with no luck finding a good used car yet. In addition, I developed a nasty cold of gargantuan proportions accompanied by pink eye in both eyes. Boy, did I look hot. Yes, and this was ALL IN ONE WEEKEND! May the whole audience heave a collective groan/sigh. Then...just as I was beginning to see the light at the end of that mucous-lined tunnel, I came down with yet another cold! I sniffle even as I type.

One night last week, in the midst of this circus, Jerald and I were lying in bed talking about our plight. Correction - we were laughing about it (actually, I was coughing and laughing simultaneously). It's so much more fun to to giggle than groan. We knew we wouldn't let all of this get us down. Why? Because it's pure comedy! We should send this story line to NBC and retire. Besides, it could be worse. We could have been living in frigid Alaska when the heat went out. And though our abode was chilly, it gave us a good excuse to cuddle. The water heater leaked, but at least it still heated the home's water. We may not own a car at present, but we have two legs. My wheezy cold has been miserable, but at least I'm not vomitting, which to me, is the worst hell possible. I may have had pink eye, but at least I have my sight. We must search for the blessings within our trials. We must find the humor in it all. It's not easy, but it makes life more bearable and a whole lot more fun. Through the hilarity of October, Jerald and I have laughed and leaned on the Lord. And we're the happier for it.

11 comments:

Becky said...

Way to find the positive! I'm sorry about your weekend though! I hope things get brighter.

Elizabeth Reid said...

I absolutely agree with you about vomiting. I hate it and have refused to do it for over a decade. And you know what I've noticed when I have gotten colds? As soon as I am over them something good happens. And while that something good happens I always think to myself, "I'm so glad I got that cold over with so I can really enjoy this moment." Here is looking forward to your good moment that is sure to come!

Cheryl said...

I love your cheerful self. And I couldn't agree more, my biggest fear in life, well that is heights, but my 2nd is throwing up! I hate it. Way to look on the bright side of things!
(And the word I get to type to put this on your comment page is sefpy, sounds like Stephy!!!)

Ty and Ber said...

I do hope that things start to go better for you guys. Isn't it crazy how everything seems to happen at once? You guys always have such a positive outlook on life which is to be commended. What an example you are to everyone.

Jules Holbrook said...

I absolutely love your blog, Suzanne. Only you could pull this off! I'm sorry about your plight, but I'm so glad you can laugh about it. Ry and I used to play "10 Good Things About Today" every night. Sometimes we'd get laughing when it was "one of those days." I concur with everyone else about throwing up. I cannot laugh about that...yet!

Marsh Mayhem said...

You poor girl! Pink eye is no fun, especially when it's in both eyes! But it sounds like they're at least getting better! You've got to love the "when-it-rains-it-pours" periods ... our last one ended in Clara's birth and Matt's acceptance to his dream school. So here's looking forward to your awesome news!!

Wendy said...

Why is it that "bad" things happen in bunches? I'm so sorry for all your troubles but glad you shared them--and your positive outlook--with us! Hope you guys feel better soon!

Cindy said...

Another cold...that's the pits. We had one making the rounds at our house a couple weeks ago. It is so nice not to have to find the nearest tissue box in every room you enter. Annika wants to come play with Summer. She talks about it every time we pass your road.

Dan and Jen said...

You are a very clever writer, Suzanne. I enjoy reading your blog. I'm sorry about your rough weekend but I'm proud of you for finding the good in your trials-like The Glad Game on Pollyanna (have you ever seen this movie?).

Shelece & Josh said...

Oh that sounds so much like our August! Hopefully it is about over. I admire your positive outlook, that's an awesome quality!

Zanny said...

Thanks everyone! You're all so sweet to me. Jen, how do you play the glad game? It sounds fun! We should turn it into a tag blog game. After 8 days of driving a rental, we found a great Toyota Camry and are driving it up! The Lord is sweet to us too.