Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Beauty Tip - Make Everyone Else Feel Beautiful

Peri Oral Dermatitis! The title alone conjures up rashy images. That's what my poor face suffered from this year for five ghastly months with bumpy, rashy spots on my chin and around my nose. Luckily, I was able to cover it pretty well with makeup, but some days it was all too visible. At the time, I didn't know what it was and I felt very insecure about it. I tried EVERY skin care treatment I could find to rid myself of this horror before finally calling my dermatologist. I was thrilled to discover this yuckiness had a title! Yay! A skin infection that could be chased away by an oral antibiotic. It was gone in days. Back when I was in the bumpy thick of it, though, and before I'd received help from my doctor, I went to the spa to get a facial. I was feeling embarassed about my face that day, as it was particularly rashy. As I waited in line to check in, the receptionist stared at me for a moment and said, "Wow, you have the most beautiful skin" (I don't know what she was thinking - the spread of pink bumps was gaining territory on my chin). My eyes widened and I stood there dumbstruck. I breathed a thank you to her. I promptly went to the restroom, entered a stall, closed its door, and burst into tears. I don't think the receptionist will ever know how much her kindness meant to me. I had so badly needed that compliment that day.

Now, I love writing beauty tips on my blog, and I try to keep them somewhat tongue-in-cheek and silly - almost poking fun at the beauty industry. My effort is more to encourage pampering and taking time for ourselves. The beauty industry has a certain ideal, which I don't think anyone can live up to, except for, maybe Barbie... and she's made of plastic. The scriptures tell us man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. How difficult it is, though, when insecurity rises and confidence falls.

My beauty tip for this week is to make everyone feel beautiful. Let's tell our spouses they are hot and sexy. We'll tell our little children how smart and pretty they are. Hey, let's compliment a baby's cuteness to his mother - and while we're at it, tell her how great she looks after delivery. We can call the grocery store clerk by name and tell her we love her hair. Maybe we could ask to speak to our restaurant waiter's manager to praise the great service. Don't be shy. It doesn't matter if we don't know them. Spread genuine and sincere compliments far and wide by looking for the beauty in others. We musn't keep a compliment to ourselves. We may never know how badly someone needs to hear it.

7 comments:

Jerald M. Simon said...

Zanny, You are such an amazing writer. I can't wait until you write a book. You are so talented and I love you. - Jerald

Cindy said...

You are great at giving compliments. I know I always feel better about myself when you say kind things to me. BTW...You do have beautiful skin!

Zanny said...

Thanks, Cindy sweetie, but at the time it was QUITE mountainous with pink dots. Yuck! BTW... you're hot!

Marsh Mayhem said...

What a sweet idea! I'm so sorry you dealt with dermatitis ... yuck! My baby girl got a pretty bad case along with her baby acne - but it cleared up very quickly once we got her ointment as well. But I tell you, I felt like a psycho-neurotic mom calling the doctor for an appointment for baby acne!

Jill T said...

That is great advice! And you do have very beautiful skin--I'm not surprised that you were paid that compliment!

I'm so lucky that my husband always compliments me and makes me feel beautiful. Thank goodness for kindness in this world! We need more of it!

cheryl said...

This post makes me love you even more. You are such a gifted writer and such a beautiful person, with --YES! beautiful skin. And I will take your challenge. (:

Marsh Mayhem said...

It was SO, SO good to see you this Saturday ... when is a good time for you to get together? We're unfortunately locked in for probably weekdays -- next Saturday is the last day that I get Matty ... then he becomes the property of Thunderbird for two years. Ack!