Monday, June 1, 2009

Memorable Memorial Day Grilled Chicken!

Once we slide into Memorial Day, it really feels like summer is here! I have always so loved this holiday. Our little family celebrated by barbecuing outside and enjoyed the best grilled chicken I've ever had the pleasure of devouring. Jerald is a sovereign master at the grill and he left Summer and me speechless with his commanding skill. Together, we were a compelling team. I had the sobering job of attacking the chicken tenderloins with my kitchen shears to rid the world of its miscellaneous fat, cartilage, red veins, that curious hard white strip of matter, foreign objects, and the mesh material, closely resembling a gooey spider's web that always completely covers half of the tenderloin! One would think one's appetite would be fiercely removed after that poultry surgery, but I knew it was worth the gagging. The chicken then soaked all afternoon in a bath of a zesty marinade before Jerald grilled it to perfection and gave it those pretty "grill lines" of black charcoal. This marinade will become a firm and decided staple in all of your houses! I found the recipe a few years ago in a Taste of Home magazine, but had yet to make it. Oh, those wasted years! I can never get them back! I now share the recipe with YOU!

Zesty Grilled Chicken
6 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used chicken tenderloins)
*In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the marinade ingredients. Reserve a bit for basting during grilling. Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; Refrigerate for 4-8 hours, turning occasionally. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side.
~~ We ate this zesty, juicy, flavorful chicken with baked potatoes and fresh corn. Joy was ours! And now it's yours too :)

4 comments:

Wendy said...

You could probably make a mud pie sound appetizing! I love how descriptive you are...and I'll have to jot down this recipe and give it a try! Thanks!

Ty and Ber said...

Wahoo, I love new recipes and I love new recipes for the grill. This sounds tasty. We will definitely have to give it a go.

Travis and Crystal said...

MMM! Thanks! I have been looking for dinner ideas and I think this one sounds absolutely mouthwatering!

Cheryl said...

I love reading whatever you have to write about. Chicken fat included. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it out!