As a bewitching baby...

...And now as a dazzling little girl
I sit, typing this love note to my little Summer Leilani Simon on the eve of her third birthday. I excitedly went to the store tonight to buy crepe paper, balloons, and a big "Happy Birthday" sign. She'll have a huge birthday party with a pink birthday cake - just as she requested. Her presents are ready to be presented...and I simply cannot WAIT for tomorrow to come.
Dear Summer,
On June 12th, 2006, my mother (your Grandma Wendy) and I went to my 36 week appointment with Dr. Spencer. He looked concerned as he stared silently at the ultra-sound's screen. The seconds ticked by while we waited to hear what he would say. "Well", he said, "This baby needs to come out. Today." My heart thudded in my chest as he informed me that I had pre-eclampsia, my blood pressure was sky high, and you were in stress and in a breech position. An emergency cesarean was to be performed as soon as we could get to the hospital. As soon as he left the room, I looked at my mother and began to cry nervously. She said, "You are a mother now and you will be strong for this baby. You can do this." I took a deep breath and smiled. I knew everything would be OK. The delivery went just fine. The nurse lifted you up for me to see, but then whisked you away to the NICU immediately, and I was not able to be with you until late that evening. I was wheeled down the long corridors to the NICU, where you laid in your incubator. I drank in the sight of your beautiful, three pound little body with a head full of glossy dark hair with a red bow in it. I reached my hand through the glass to stroke your tummy and...threw up! Oh, my medication made me so nauseated I vomited all evening. I'm so sorry our first meeting involved bile! The NICU nurse who took care of you told us, "She's tiny...but she's perfect." Such true words to this very day, Summer. They broke the hospital rules and took you out of your incubator and brought you to my hospital room when I was so ill, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. They laid you on my chest and that was the first time I held you. They knew we needed each other, even if it could only be for five minutes. That's when Daddy gave you your first priesthood blessing. You made me a mother, and how grateful I was to take you home after your ten days in the hospital. I never minded getting up in the middle of the night to nurse you because that was our special time together. In the quiet of the late night hour, and with the night light shining by your crib, I could nurse you, rock you, pray with you, and feel the beautiful spirit of the Lord you brought with you into this world. Now, three years later, you still carry that beautiful spirit. I always feel you have angels with you, so I, too, feel safe and watched over when I'm with you. I'm just...in awe of you. When you enter a room, all eyes turn to you. Not just because of your physical beauty, which you have in abundance, but because people sense your greatness - your powerful presence. You are so full of personality and shimmery sparkle! Your intelligence stuns us. You knew your whole alphabet, numbers, and shapes at the age of one! And at twenty months old, you could play "I am a child of God" on the piano. You remember song lyrics and movie lines! You're so talkative and outgoing with everyone you meet, and you have so many friends who positively adore you. When you sit on my lap for our daily story time, I love to gaze at your beautiful profile. I'm always so touched when you take my hand and press it against your cheek. I'll never forget when I was so ill, recently, and you laid down next to me on the floor in the hall and sweetly murmured, "Mommy...I need you." And on the morning of Mother's day, you laid with me in my bed and gave your purple blankie and your Mickey Mouse to me to cuddle - your two most prized possessions. Now, I can praise you, darling, without sounding like one of those "braggy" mothers because I know Heavenly Father Himself made you - that you came to earth with these talents and gifts to bless the lives of millions. And bless them you will. You have already blessed your Daddy's and my life in overwhelming abundance. I'm honored to be your mother, and to be along for the great ride of your life. Happy Birthday, pretty kitten.
Dear Summer,
On June 12th, 2006, my mother (your Grandma Wendy) and I went to my 36 week appointment with Dr. Spencer. He looked concerned as he stared silently at the ultra-sound's screen. The seconds ticked by while we waited to hear what he would say. "Well", he said, "This baby needs to come out. Today." My heart thudded in my chest as he informed me that I had pre-eclampsia, my blood pressure was sky high, and you were in stress and in a breech position. An emergency cesarean was to be performed as soon as we could get to the hospital. As soon as he left the room, I looked at my mother and began to cry nervously. She said, "You are a mother now and you will be strong for this baby. You can do this." I took a deep breath and smiled. I knew everything would be OK. The delivery went just fine. The nurse lifted you up for me to see, but then whisked you away to the NICU immediately, and I was not able to be with you until late that evening. I was wheeled down the long corridors to the NICU, where you laid in your incubator. I drank in the sight of your beautiful, three pound little body with a head full of glossy dark hair with a red bow in it. I reached my hand through the glass to stroke your tummy and...threw up! Oh, my medication made me so nauseated I vomited all evening. I'm so sorry our first meeting involved bile! The NICU nurse who took care of you told us, "She's tiny...but she's perfect." Such true words to this very day, Summer. They broke the hospital rules and took you out of your incubator and brought you to my hospital room when I was so ill, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. They laid you on my chest and that was the first time I held you. They knew we needed each other, even if it could only be for five minutes. That's when Daddy gave you your first priesthood blessing. You made me a mother, and how grateful I was to take you home after your ten days in the hospital. I never minded getting up in the middle of the night to nurse you because that was our special time together. In the quiet of the late night hour, and with the night light shining by your crib, I could nurse you, rock you, pray with you, and feel the beautiful spirit of the Lord you brought with you into this world. Now, three years later, you still carry that beautiful spirit. I always feel you have angels with you, so I, too, feel safe and watched over when I'm with you. I'm just...in awe of you. When you enter a room, all eyes turn to you. Not just because of your physical beauty, which you have in abundance, but because people sense your greatness - your powerful presence. You are so full of personality and shimmery sparkle! Your intelligence stuns us. You knew your whole alphabet, numbers, and shapes at the age of one! And at twenty months old, you could play "I am a child of God" on the piano. You remember song lyrics and movie lines! You're so talkative and outgoing with everyone you meet, and you have so many friends who positively adore you. When you sit on my lap for our daily story time, I love to gaze at your beautiful profile. I'm always so touched when you take my hand and press it against your cheek. I'll never forget when I was so ill, recently, and you laid down next to me on the floor in the hall and sweetly murmured, "Mommy...I need you." And on the morning of Mother's day, you laid with me in my bed and gave your purple blankie and your Mickey Mouse to me to cuddle - your two most prized possessions. Now, I can praise you, darling, without sounding like one of those "braggy" mothers because I know Heavenly Father Himself made you - that you came to earth with these talents and gifts to bless the lives of millions. And bless them you will. You have already blessed your Daddy's and my life in overwhelming abundance. I'm honored to be your mother, and to be along for the great ride of your life. Happy Birthday, pretty kitten.
Love,
Mommy xoxo

12 comments:
Happy birthday Summer! I loved reading the story of her birth and I also loved that you left in the vomiting part. Way to go for keepin' it real.
I've only met Summer once or twice but I know if she's half as kind and thoughtful as her mother that she is going to be an amazing person.
Happy Birthday, Summer!! I forgot that she and Clara's birthdays are so close.
What a precious story -- thank you for sharing! Now hightail it down here so I can actually meet her!
That was so precious! Happy Birthday Summer.
I think I shed a tear reading that! What a blessing you are to her as a mommy, and what a joy she must be. Happy, happy birthday to you precious little girl!!!
Very happy birthday wishes for Summer! What adorable pictures of her. Hope you guys had as much fun as we did yesterday despite all the sogginess! Have you ever seen the Feature Films for Families movie called "Rigaleto"? I saw the lady yesterday in one of the old homes who played the lead girl in that film. Now I want to watch it again. If you haven't seen it, I'll lend it to you. Have fun partying today!
What a great blog! Happy Birthday Summer! You are so adorable!
This is Beautiful Zanny! I'm so glad you are a part of my family and I am so grateful for you and Jerald and all that you do!
Summer is simply amazing and you have much to be proud of! She is such a princess and I love her! HAppy BirthdaY Summer! I Love You!
Happy Birthday Summer!!
I hope that she was able to have the greatest day ever in celebration of her special day.
What a beautiful letter for sweet Summer. I had not heard the story of Summer's entrance into this world. Thanks so much for sharing. You are a wonderful mom because of who your mom is. And Summer is blessed because of both of you. Love you! So glad that my journey on earth included you. P.S. Steph said you have been celebrating all week! So sweet.
Happy birthday Summer! Did you take any pictures at her party? We'd love to see some since we weren't able to make it. Love to all!
Happy Birthday! It was so good to remember the blessings and the prayers for you and your family at that time. I didn't meet Summer until she was a few months old, but I remember praying for you during that time. She turned out perfectly didn't she! I really enjoy reading your blog because you rememind me of the blessings that life holds. You bring sunshine and happiness to all who know you. Let's get together again!
you and you little girl are so beautiful!
Emily
Post a Comment