Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hey, It's OK!

In every issue of Glamour magazine, there is a page under the Life & Happiness section that is titled, "Hey, it's OK!" It's a list of things we as women do that could, perhaps, by snooty snoots, be considered a bit on the dorkier side of the quaint and quirky. For the rest of us - it's OK! So here is a list of my OWN perplexing peculiarities:

Hey, it's OK!
... that I can openly admit to subscribing to "Glamour" and "Allure" magazines. Seeing those shallow monthly beauty gazettes in my mailbox is like Christmas morning!
... that I feel a warming stir in my heart at the weather forecast of precipitation. Let it snow, let it rain, let it sleet!
... that I always keep my fingernails short, sweet, and to the point...or should we say rounded edge? Nail polish always. Daggers? No!
...that I have no qualms at all about throwing an apple away after the first bite if the texture is at all mealy, mushy, or mucky. It's an insult to the human palate! Give me crunchy, cold, and crispy ones with a rosy flush to its skin - along with a side of sharp cheddar cheese. That's just poetry!
...that I feel I must deep clean the kitchen before even attempting to cook, bake, blanch, boil, simmer, or sizzle any foodstuffs. If a mess at all exists, I may as well tear out my hair in frustration and cook that for dinner, because I simply cannot concentrate on my cooking if surrounded by clutter and chaos!
...that I have to turn out the light before leaving the room and have the closet and kitchen cupboard doors shut. Hey, the light thing saves energy, and the cupboard thing, well, that affects no one but me!
...that 99% of the shoes I own are high heeled backless sandals. I wear them with with pride year round!
...that I'm an unapologetic milk snob. I only drink the organic variety because it's healthier and it tastes sweet, clean, and fresh - minus that nasty, sour aftertaste that plagues the ordinary milk on the store shelves. Also, it must be served on ice because no one wants to be reminded through lukewarm, ripe, soiled, and beastly taste, that the beverage being consumed once resided in a cow!
...that I ended every list item with an exclamation point. It quite dramatically drives each element home. Don't you THINK?!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Zanny! I love your blog and am so excited to add it to my list! I am also a proud subscriber to Glamour and love that monthly list! I also don't know if I'll be able to drink regular milk again ha ha ha!

Megan said...

P.S.
I'm so glad Summer loves the book! :) Hi Summer!

Wendy said...

You are so cute with all your little quirks! I love how you like to have your kitchen clean and orderly both before AND after cooking anything. Thanks for coming to myy book party last night!

Cheryl said...

I love reading everything you write. You always have me smiling!

Cindy said...

Zanny-
We love you because of your quirks. I can definitely tell you you are not married to a Mowin' Man, or you would not feel joy at precipitation. Nothing is more heart breaking than seeing my sweetheart come home soaked from head to toe after a day of mowing in the rain.

Jill T said...

You are one funny gal! I enjoyed reading your list very much and definitely understand the whole milk thing. Thanks for your sweet comments on my recent post.