Friday, March 25, 2011

Beauty Tip -- Coffee Shop Body Scrub

I am no Java Joe in the coffee drinking department (we don't consume the beverage for religious reasons), but I simply must share this bewitching body scrub recipe I found in a recent issue of Woman's World magazine. It involves the use of coffee grounds, sugar, and olive oil to exfoliate and shed your skin of dead skin cells, revealing newer, brighter, and softer skin, while improving skin's overall texture and appearance. The ingredients in coffee grounds are rich in antioxidants and when applied topically to the skin, are very purifying and detoxifying. They also help to reduce epidermal swelling and can temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite. Body Scrubs made with coffee grounds have been used for years in luxury spas, but you can make your own for a fraction of the cost! The recipe (which I renamed because the original title was achingly boring) is as follows:

Silkifying Smooth Brew Body Scrub

1 cup coffee grounds (don't use instant coffee -- it dissolves)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

~ Combine all ingredients and store in a glass jar. The mixture will keep for two months. To use, step into the shower and before you turn the water on, gather big handfuls of the mixture and massage it in circular motions over your whole body for several minutes. Work it especially well into any rough spots like elbows, knees, and heels. Most people use body scrubs on wet skin, but that makes the treatment only half as effective because the layer of water between your skin and the scrub makes the scrub not "grip" as well onto the dead cells to whisk them away -- so definitely use the mixture on dry skin. It will feel rough and scratchy, yet shockingly invigorating. When the scrubbing experience has concluded, turn on the shower and rinse off. Forgo using soap after the rinse-off because it will wash away the moisturizing benefits of the olive oil in the recipe. Pat yourself dry and finish the treatment with a coat of rich body cream or lotion, which is important after a scrub. You will be astonished at how severely alive, vibrant, sleek, polished, glossy, glassy, and baby soft your skin feels. Your whole being will look ablaze with moonlit glory! Not only that, but you'll have the pride and all around self-glorification in the fact that you'll be the first of your friends to be a body scrub java junkie.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this - I've been meaning to hunt down a scrub recipe for the longest time and never quite get around to it! I'm not the biggest Bath and Body Works fan, but they make an amazingly relaxing lavender scrub that I just ran out of the other night. Can't wait to replace it with this and try it out!

Cindy said...

I always wonder who sees coffee grounds and thinks - this would make a great body scrub! I think it would be fun to try it!