Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Christmas Season

We took so many pictures of our holly jolly times during the Christmas season, that we feel compelled to split them up into several posts, so as to avoid forcing our readers to scroll on and on as we droll on and on.


We kicked off the Christmas season with gingerbread cookie baking on the day after Thanksgiving!


That evening, we decorated our Christmas tree! It's a false one, but we lit a pine-scented candle for dramatic effect. I have to add that we had a devil of a time trying to arrange that gold garland thing! We got it wrapped around the whole tree, stepped back to look at it, but saw that it was crooked in certain spots. Well, the perfectionists in us all could not abide such an abomination, so we tried to fix it, but the tree's needles kept shredding up the garland's tinsel as we pulled it out to re-arrange it. We never got it to look right after three ghastly times of taking it off and putting it back on. The real joy of the Christmas spirit filled our hearts when we ripped it off for the final time...and threw it with satisfying force back into the box. Maybe we'll try the garland again next year. And maybe not. Most likely not. Definitely not.











A few days later, we went Christmas caroling with Jerald's family at a nearby rest home. Jerald's dad played his accordion to accompany us all, and I became misty-eyed when I saw how much it meant to those sweet elderly people to have us sing and make a fuss over them. One gentleman cried grateful tears and said how much he had needed this. Another awesome old guy held on to his walker and danced a little jig as we sang. He received well-deserved cheers from his audience! Anyway, it's a tradition we do every year and I sure hope it continues.



One Friday night in December, we all bundled up and drove into Salt Lake to see the lights at temple square. This is another tradition we refuse to part with due to its extreme fun. We snapped this shot of Summer before we left because...how could we not? Too cute for words in all of her pink glory...


The glacial wind was biting, bitter, and brisk, but we snuggled lots to stay warm. It was all so beautiful!






I thought I'd end this particular post with "Pink on Pink" Summer. She'd warm up any December day being the little hottie she is!

5 comments:

Steph said...

Looks you had a good time on the days leading up to Christmas. Tinsel is hard to work with, so I put beads on my tree instead.

Cindy said...

Darn it! How can Christmas be over? Beautiful pictures of the lights. BTW...Annika needs someone to dress up like a princess with her? Know of anyone?

Ty and Ber said...

Such fun traditions. I love the tinsel story. It made me chuckle.

Wendy said...

I love that you guys go sing to the old folks! What a wonderful tradition and example of charity!

kaLee said...

Summer looks so big in the last pic on this blog!!! oh she is so adorable!!! and you and jerald look delici at the temple with your mom and dad!!!