Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snowy, Blowy Ice Cream!

Summer and I recently discovered a deeply darling children's book called "Snowy Blowy Winter" by Bob Raczka (don't ask us to pronounce his unfortunate last name). Together we unite in our promotion of this story book, not only for its catchy rhymes and reasons, but because of the ice cream recipe on the last page, which calls for...wait for it...FRESH SNOW! I know! Any of my readers living in Northern Utah had a heightened awareness of Mother Nature today, as we received several inches of the fluffy stuff. Summer and I excitedly brought a heaping bowl of snow into our bright kitchen and in three minutes, we enjoyed a dish of delicious, frosty, freezy ice cream! Its frothy texture resembled a soft and creamy snow cone. Summer had the pure inspiration from the snowy heavens above to add a generous smattering of milk chocolate chips to the concoction. Joy was ours. So ambrosial was this frozen confection, that it would be impressive enough to serve to guests. In fact, I recommend it because how else could one say at a dinner party: "This evening's dessert was brought to you in part by our current precipitation!" The recipe is as follows:


SNOWY, BLOWY, ICE CREAM
4 cups fresh, clean snow
1/2 cup whole milk (or half & half)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
~ Gather four cups of fresh snow and and put it in a mixing bowl. It's best to do this during or right after a snow storm, so you know the snow is clean. Then, in a glass measuring cup, mix milk, sugar, and vanilla extract until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the milk mixture over the snow and mix well with a spoon--about two minutes. Serve in bowls. Add your favorite toppings (we used milk chocolate chips). Makes two heaping, delicious servings. Let it snow!

7 comments:

Ty and Ber said...

Thanks for the info on a good new book. We are always looking for good books to buy.
What a fantistically fun recipe for ice cream. We will most definitely be giving this a try.

Wendy said...

Would you PLEASE write your OWN book so you can use that wonderful talent of yours to better the world in a bigger way?!? Really, I love the way you write. Plus, thanks for the recipe...it'll be something fun to do with the grandkids.

Cheryl said...

Oh, you better believe we are making that tonight! Yipee.

Rebecca said...

Sounds good enough to make me almost think seriously about moving back to Northern Utah; but I think I will stay in St George for now! We'll see how I feel in say, July!!! You are amazing! I love reading your blogs!

Monica said...

Oh Suzanne...you and the way you describe things just makes me happy! Me and the kids will definitely have to try this one!

Jill T said...

Hi Suzanne and fam! I feel like I haven't commented on your blog for a while and just wanted to say hi! Glad that you are continuing to do fun projects--if it ever snows here in VA again I'll give the recipe a try!

aubreyannie said...

how cool! i love it. i am putting in on hold at our library right now. too bad no snow is in our forecast. :(