Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chew on This!

We've all probably attended 1,522 wedding receptions and summer picnics at which chicken salad on croissants was served. It's a classic. But...certain versions of chicken salad can be very dull, drab, flavourless, bleak, dismal, and cheerless. THIS recipe, I assure you, is not a "chicken mixed with Miracle Whip" disaster. My mother wrote, produced, and directed this recipe, which tells you in advance it's toothsome and luscious!
Chicken Salad
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken *see tip below*
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 cup water chestnuts (I omitted these - I feel a bit suspicious of them!)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2-1/2 tablespoons grated onion (I used diced green onion and felt inspired)
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
dash of pepper
Up to 3/4 cup mayonnaise, depending on how "saucy" you like it.
*Combine ingredients and chill in the fridge. Serve on fresh and buttery croissants. Oh! I must tell you a heartwarming chicken shredding tip I learned from my friend, Katie. Boil and simmer the chicken breasts until very tender (I always season the water with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to infuse the chicken with flavor) and place immediately into a bowl while they're still very hot. Turn on your electric beaters and in seconds you have perfectly shredded chicken. Try it! You'll be touched. No more ghastly shredding with two forks until your bored and restless. Anyway, I'm excited for you all to make this recipe! I prepared it for our 4th of July picnic and it made the day. I hope you like it!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Mmmmm.... Chicken Salad....
*wiping drool off my chin*

Ty and Ber said...

I love chicken salad. I will definitely have to try this one out.

Wendy said...

Sounds delicious as does every recipe you post!

Cheryl said...

Can't wait to try it!! Hey, maybe you can make it for me when Steph gets home and we can have a luncheon together!!! (: I'll bring yummy chocolate truffle cake and a strawberry salad.

Twitchell Family said...

Hey, it was so good to see you guys on Sunday. i felt bad i didnt visit with you more-it was a little hectic! We should get the girls together for a play date :)