Monday, November 10, 2008

Life Tip - What Are You Looking For?

For several years now I've had a daily tradition. During my morning prayer, I ask Heavenly Father to help me find the blessings and simple pleasures of the day. Then, during my bedtime prayer, I report to Him my findings. It provides for such merriment! Good things happen every day and it becomes a jolly good game to search them out - to look for them. The possibilities are multitudinous: Good hair days, favorite songs on the radio, notes in the mail, or a fresh box of Kleenex when our nose is an erupting volcano. We might find a five dollar bill in our pocket, down a glass of icy cold water when our innards are a desert, or be given a sincere compliment given just when we need it. There are always rejuvenating power naps, eating just the thing we're craving, seeing a sea of flowers, hearing our kids' laughter, making our spouse smile, or receiving ten emails in our inbox. We always appreciate a sparkling kitchen accompanied by the comforting hum of the dishwasher, our subscribed magazine's arrival, and of course, the spontaneous giggling over something so silly, you'd have to be there. Then, there are the scripture verses we read and feel were written just for us, peaceful reassurances from the Lord, and as my Grandpa By called it - "that wonderful sense of well-being" - the feeling of utter contentment. It's easy to get bogged down with the daily negatives, but it's much more recreative to notice and note the simple pleasures of life. The Lord, from whom our blessings come, will bless us for our gratitude. So, tally up the daily delights and watch them grow day by day. Don't we always find what we're looking for?

9 comments:

Becky said...

What a great thing to do around Thanksgiving- gratitude is so important.

Cheryl said...

I love it!! Thanks for sharing this. Your gift of cheerfulness is contagious! I thought it especially wonderful that you return and report the good findings of the day! I will begin today! Thanks.

Ty and Ber said...

I totally agree. Those who are always looking for negative find it and they are grumpy. I think you should always look for the good and positive in everything. It makes your life, marriage, work and everything else that much greater!

Jules Holbrook said...

I love your sunny outlook on life, Suzanne! I'm sure you have no idea how many spirits you lift. I love all the blessings you mentioned, but I would love to find a few more $5 bills in my pocket!

Wendy said...

You have a wonderful outlook on life...I've recently tried looking for 3 of those special blessings everyday and reporting back...it does make a difference!

Anonymous said...

ZaNnY ThaT iS So TRuE! i Love you LittlE ADViCe BlogS!

jjba said...

What a great attitude...thanks for this post because it reminds me how good I feel when I am looking for the positive like this! And what is even better, this is something we all can do.

aubreyannie said...

i adored this post suzanne! love it. i was watching this thing on pbs about our brains and how if we would just write down five things a day of what we are grateful for, it would improve our mood and actually helps significantly with depression. thanks for giving me such a great idea for my prayers.

Shelece & Josh said...

I bet that everyone you come in contact with feels uplifted, I know I always do. Thanks for all your love and support.